Woodmen in the Graveyards
Visitors to historic cemeteries (including Pompano Beach’s) are likely to find grave markers with the somewhat mysterious inscription “Woodmen of the World.” Who, or what, were the Woodemn of the World, and why are there cemetery markers from this group? The intersting website, Florida’s Lost and Abandoned Graveyards explains: Some of the most recognizable tombstones...
Sign of the Times
During the Second World War, the City of Pompano erected a large sign on a vacant piece of property at the corner of SE First Street and Flagler Avenue that listed the names of local residents who were serving in the military. Later, the property was purchased by Bud Lyons who built a structure that housed his farming offices and a Western Auto store. The building now is occupied by a coin...
During the 1930s, over half of the world’s production of turpentine came from the pine forests of Georgia and Florida. There were about 1000 turpentine camps in the southern United States with more than 40,000 workers in the industry.
Don Downie remembers Ogden Bros. Grocery, located on NE First Street just east of the railroad tracks: Out the main back double doors was a roofed area. Mr. Ogden had an employee named Red who worked with the butchers. Chickens were a huge part of the meat department. Outside there were cages of live chickens stacked next to a long wooden table. Red would grab a chicken throw it on the...
St. Elizabeth of Hungary Catholic Church was established in 1956 to serve the fast-growing Cresthaven and Pompano Beach Highlands developments, as well as surrounding areas of Pompano Beach and Deerfield Beach. According to the church’s history, before the church’s sanctuary was completed, services were held at McFadden’s Restaurant (this may be a mistake, as the City Directory...
Although the overwhelming majority of indigenous South Florida Indians are members of the Seminole or Miccosukee tribes, there remains a few local Indians who are not enrolled in either Tribe. They exist as organized “Independent” Seminoles not formally recognized by the federal Bureau of Indian Affairs (BIA). Many “Independents” oppose any government intervention into...
Fast Growing Elks
The Pompano Beach Elks Lodge (#1898) was chartered in April 1953, with an initial membership of 97. Within a year its membership had surpassed 200.
Ruins of the Past
In 1954, a columnist for the Pompano Beach Town News “discovered” what was left of the old Pompano race track that had opened in 1926: We found it … back in the bush, southwest of the Farmer’s Market … a ragged skeleton of a club-house and a moth-eaten, weed-grown oval that had once been the track … a remnant of the boom days, all that remained of an ambitious...
In August, 1954, the Pompano Beach City Commission unanimously approved the municipality’s first budget that exceeded one million dollars. $1,120,505 to be exact.
The Hunter’s Manor area in Pompano Beach is located east of Powerline Road and south of Copans Road. Much of it was purchased by Paul Hunter, probably in the 1930s. It was in this area that Westview Cemetery was established by the Pompano Christian Pallbearers Society as a place for the burial of African-Americans.
Although Everglades National park was not dedicated until 1947, the effort to create the park began decades earlier. In 1930, the Everglades National Park Committee visited southern Florida, and reported to the Interior Department that the Everglades met the standards for a national park. Four years later, Congress authorized the park, contingent on the State of Florida acquiring two-million...
It's Cold Outside
On this date in 1934 a severe freeze hit Florida, with major crop losses for Pompano farmers. In its aftermath a frost warning service was establsihed by the National Weather Bureau.
The Sisters Take Over
When Holy Cross Hospital opened in December, 1955, the local Roman Catholic diocese entrusted the facility’s administion to the Sisters of St. Joseph, who were known for their work in education and health care.
Hot Off the Press
1886 was a big year for journalism in Florida — 66 new newspapers were started in the state that year, although none in South Florida.
Pompano Beach Highlands was developed in the early 1950s by the Mackle Company. During the period from 1945 to 1954, the Mackle Company built a number of subdivision in Broward and Dade counties with over 10,000 homes, in total. In addition to Pompano Beach Highlands, the company also developed Pompano Shores, Westwood Lakes (west Miami) and perhaps most famously, Key Biscayne.
When the Pompano pari-mutuel horse racing track was ordered closed by the governor as soon as it opened in 1926, the track in Hialeah was just completing its second season of racing and was never shut down by authorities for illegal gambling.
Holiday Open House
The Pompano Beach Historical Society will hold its annual Holiday Open House on Wednesday, December 14th, 5:30 to 8:00 pm at the Dick & Miriam Hood Center (217 NE 4th Avenue) in Founders Park. Refreshments, music and tours of the Kester Cottages — a good opportunity to socialize with friends of Pompano history during the holidays.
Cows to Condos
The largest single purchase of land by what is now the Palm Aire Country Club took place in 1969, when the corporation bought 1,700 acres from McArthur Dairies.
When William L. Kester established the Farmers Bank of Pompano in 1934, there were just three employees: a teller, a cashier and a bookkeeper. The bank’s profit that first year was $1,900.